Posts tagged esusi
I unfortunately had to leave the Summer Institute after the third session yesterday, and missed session four of Buffy’s talk on Tools for Transparency, Advocacy, and Instructional Leadership. Check out her LibGuide resources for Part Four to see what she covered. I will post a link to her slides here when they are posted online.
I left the Institute, because I went and picked up author and illustrator Mark Crilley from the airport. He was to speak today to the Summer Institute group about his books and his career as an author and illustrator. I had a great time More >
Couple more things on Session 2:
- Lesson Plan examples available on the LibGuide.
- Videos there, including one by a seventh grade science student uploaded by Wendy Drexler — “Welcome to My PLE”
- Examples of student work
Important to share what we’re all doing, so we learn from each other and find new ideas. LibGuide for Session 3 Tools for Transliteracy (wishing the entire Libraries & Transliteracy crew could be here, including Bobbi Newman & Brian Hulsey) Transliteracy term. Been around 20 years, but last 6-9 months lots of More >
Wrapup comments from last session: Building tribe (Seth Godin’s book Tribes) — getting buy-in. That’s part of participatory librarianship. Helps students see that research in the library isn’t just for school work and homework that stops when you’re out of school.
Look at the resources on the pathfinder — lots of real-life examples are there, at different grade levels.
Part 2: Tools for Student Content Creation and Networked Learning: Media 21 Project
- “learning is the process of creating connections and developing a network.”
- connectivism learning theory (how do we help students connect the dots of learning
- Michael Wesch at
Overall Theme of the Institute: New Tools for New Generations: Viable Tools for Effective Student Learning
- creation of a library with fluid boundaries
- focus on a flexible learning environment influenced by the interactive global community
- respond to diverse learning needs
- teaching multiple literacies
Featured books, a focus on Standards:
- Empowering Learners: Guidelines for School Library Media Programs (also available in the NExpress Catalog)
- Standards for the 21st Century Learner in Action (also available in NExpress Catalog)
Dr. Jackie Lakin from the Kansas State Department of Education (Education Program Consultant — Information Management; Advocate for Kansas School More >