Ken Roberts Library Consulting, kroberts.ca
The Widening Gap, Large Urban Public Libraries and Small Rural Public Libraries — Final Report
“The gap bw services provided by large, urban Canadian public libraries and those offers by small, rural library systems is growing. The Panel is concerned that many of Canada’s rural public library boards may lose their ability to provide even minimal services.” -Expert Panel on the Future of Canada’s Libraries and Archives
Provential and Territorial Public Library Directors group (I think that’s what it was called)
Small Libraries Project: All Canadian Provinces & Territories, Main Issues
- Huge land mass makes provision of bandwidth difficult
- Thousands of very small, underfunded libraries
- Some boards still see a Mission of lending books
Tony Medrano, President & Megan Vizzini, VP of Sales, Boopsie
People Spend Most Time on Mobile Devices: 2010, 1/2 hr/day, 2015, 2.8 hrs/day
90% of users’ mobile device time spent “in apps”: native apps vs mobile websites.
- Using whatever works better on the situation at hand.
- Apps can be configured to meet needs; website harder.
- Apps are targeted toward specific purpose (quick)
Are apps a trend, monthly usage? — large growth Continue reading
David Lee King, Digital Services Director, Topeka & Shawnee Co PL (TSCPL), davidleeking
Not just writing — visual web; content: images, video & words; you’re paid to write, if it’s part of your job. Responsibility.
“so let’s improve our words.”
- We’re not writers, like journalists are. (not market-driven writers. Librarians like explaining, details, numbered lists. Trained to write more formally, academic writing style. Narrative format.
- 8 seconds to grab a reader’s attention (2013 attention span study)
Peter Morville, @morville, Slides — including book titles (I want to build a book list of all of his recommendations!)
Books: Info Architecture; Ambient Finadability; Search Patterns; Intertwingled (everything is connected; from code to culture)
Intertwingled has five chapters: Nature; Categories; Connections; Culture; Limits
Peter worked on an evaluation of Library of Congress’ web presence. Very complex. Report written up; brutally honest. Compared to Winchester Mystery House: Fragmentation & Findability; report embargoed. Too sensitive. Trickled up gradually to ex committee & brought back in, and changes made in the web presence. Didn’t go as far as he wanted to. Continue reading
Lee Rainie, Director, Internet, Science, Technology Research, Pew Research Center
@lrainie @pewinternet @pewresearch
“any day spent with librarians is a better day”
FactTank, News in the Numbers
Pew doesn’t take positions on what it researches. Enthusiastic about the audience, not here to prove a point.
What we know: our previous findings, libraries.pewinternet.org Continue reading