Chris Brannon, IT Coordinator, Couer D’Alene Public Library
His slides will be on the wiki
- Coverflow [widget plugin in OPAC of cover art] is based off of public reports
- Seattle Public Library’s displaysyÂ was inspiration
Kyle’s coverflow instructionsÂ [back-end setup need in webserver, Apache]
4 coverflow widgets, based on reports forÂ new Adult materials, new childrens materials, recently checked out materials, recently returned materials reports
Hasn’t seen many performance issues with this set up; report doesn’t reload/rerun unless you refresh your page; doesn’t have many people landing on catalog homepage — could be an issue if you have lots of computers that land on the catalog homepage
Dynamic content for the catalog
- install the coverlow plugin (may need assistance from support vendor)
- Configure the plugin in the Tool Plugins
- Place your elements somewhere in the catalog page
<span id='coverlow'>=Loading </span>
InstructionsÂ walk you through the necessary steps; to
4 coverflows set up with uniqueÂ span id and unique report id
will be also sharing the SQL on the reports used to buildÂ the coverflows — reports need to be public in order for this to work.
Plugin does the heavy lifting for CoverFlow — javscript code, etc., more, built through plugin, and is added to your opacuserjs sys pref. Can tweak/manipulate the js code then.
One tweak: addedÂ canned searches link to the new items cover flowsÂ to find more materials.
Some reports are load slower than others.
Suggestions for improvement
- Reports that are run once a day or on a schedule, and the results stored where Coverflow can utilize those results, resulting in faster loading <– should be be available in a future version of Koha, thanks to Bug #13578
- Working on applying the results in Digital Displays around the library that can be automatically rotated thru.
Could you pull the data from a list? Write a report that pulls data from a static list