Gretchen Rings, Univ of Chicago; Emily Clasper, Suffolk Coop. Library Sys; Michelle Zaffino, In the Stacks; Philip Gunderson, San Diego PL
Launching a Mobile Hotspot Lending Program @ Your Library — Oak Public Library — Gretchen Rings
- Disclaimer at beginning: Wildly successful program but its being discontinued due to circumstances beyond their control;Â Mobile Beacon nonprofit and issues there. #stopSprint
- Experimental Budget money –> Li-Fi: Your Library’s Mobile Hotspot: scope, partnerships, budgets, branding discovery, deployment
- What is a mobile hotspot? “Clever little boxes” that provide Mobile broadband wireless Internet; connects wi-fi enabled device to a 4G mobile high-speed network; small, portable; easy to use; connects up to eight devices. Great for traveling.
- TechSoup for Libraries project — how library found about Mobile Beacon — a nonprofit to providing affordable, mobile, high-speed Interent access to other nonprofits so they can better carry out their missions ($10/ month (prepaid, $120 per year), unlimited 4G data plans… Device was $45 + the subscription
- Arstechnica article about lawsuit situation
Tech Tools InfoBlitz: Online Tools for Collaborative Projects — Emily Clasper — Slides